Does the thought of buying a gift fill you with dread? Check out our quick guide to show you how to choose a gift that they are sure to love.
1. How Well Do You Know the Recipient?
Take a few minutes to write down what you know about the person. For example:
- Do they have any pets?
- What are their hobbies?
- What do they like doing in their spare time?
- What sort of food do they enjoy?
- Where do they like to shop?
- Do they play any sport or support any particular teams?
Answers to these questions will help you to choose a thoughtful gift that shows you have taken time to think what they may like.
2. What Does the Recipient Really Need?
As James Wallman writes in his recent book ‘Stuffocation: Living More with Less’ many of us have more things than we will ever need. When buying a gift the last thing you want to do is add to the recipient’s ‘stuffociation’ problems. ‘Where am I going to put that?’ is not quite the response you want to receive. So think is there something they really need? For example:
- Has their keyring broken recently or is it looking a little shabby?
- Do they always get to the supermarket and realise that they have forgotten to bring their shopping bags with them?
- Are they always looking for a pen?
- Do they write lots of notes or lists on bits of paper?
A practical gift that they really need will be more appreciated than something they really do not need or want. It also has the added advantage that everytime they use it, they will think of you!
3. How Would You Describe the Recipient?
Gifts need to match the personality of the recipient; pink fluffy slippers have no place in a modern minimalist living. Would you describe the recipient as:
- Cute and fluffy?
- Plain and simple?
- Day Dreamer?
Giving a gift that relates to the recipient’s interests, is something that they really need and fits with their personality does not have to be expensive, but it does require a little thought.
Follow these steps of how to choose a gift and then, why not treat yourself to a little gift too?
At Black Country Gifts we organize our gifts by interests (such as ‘gifts for dog lovers’ and ‘gifts for cat lovers’ and by objects that we may need (such as ‘keyrings’ and ‘bags’) to help you choose the perfect gift.